The Weaving Workshop is approx. 145 m2 fitted with five looms suitable for working with relatively large items. The weaving workshop and the yarn dyeing shop are on the same floor. The workshop also holds various other kinds of weaving equipment: distaff holders, yarn reels, bobbin winders, various reeds etc. You will have to bring your own scissors, sewing materials, measuring tapes etc.
Access: double doors, freight lift (height 2 m, width 1.2 m, depth 2.4 m, diagonal 2.9 m)
Before applying for residency at the workshop you will have to decide which kind of loom is most suitable for your project. In some cases the workshop consultant will be able to help out with handling large looms – she will not carry out the work for you. As there are several looms in the workshop, you should expect to be sharing the it with others.
The Workshop facilities include:
- Counterbalanced loom with up to 4 shafts. The weaving breadth is between 2.5 meters and 4.1 meters. The loom is suitable for making large carpets and hangings. For tight weaving, two or more people should operate the loom. The loom has a shaft lifting system operated by compressed air.
- Foot-powered loom with up to 8 shafts (PC controlled). The weaving breadth of both looms is between 2.5 meters and 4.1 meters. The looms are suitable for making large carpets and hangings. For tight weaving, two or more people should operate the loom. Both looms have shaft lifting systems operated by compressed air.
- Dobby Loom, computer operated via Weavepoint. The loom has 22 shafts, two back beams and a weaving breadth of up to 160 cm. The loom is suitable for light textiles (not for carpets). Because it is computer operated, the loom is also suitable for research and experiments with for example bindings and patterns. This could be relevant for weavers working on design projects.
- TC2-Loom. The loom has one back beam and a weaving breadth of up to 70 cm. with 18 threads per cm. It is suitable for light textiles (not for carpets). Since it is a computer operated loom, it is suitable for experimentation and research in relation to larger design projects that are eventually going to be executed in Textile Lab Tilburg. Users of this loom should be able to work with PhotoShop files of TIFF format. If you have never weaved before, you must bring an assistent with professional experience.
- Tapestry loom. Weaving breadth 2.5 – 4 m. The loom has no shafts or treadles. The loom is suitable for large picture tapestries.
- Foot-powered loom with up to 8 shafts. The weaving breadth is up to 2.6 meters. The loom is suitable for carpets, hangings and tapestries. The loom may be operated by one person.