The Weaving Workshop is approx. 144 m2. The workshop is fitted with five looms suitable for working with relatively large items. The weaving workshop and the yarn dyeing shop are on the same floor. The weaving workshop also holds various other kinds of weaving equipment: distaff holders, yarn reels, bobbin winders, various reeds etc. You will have to bring your own scissors, sewing materials, measuring tapes etc.
Before applying for residency at the workshop you will have to decide which kind of loom is most suitable for your project. In some cases the workshop consultant will be able to help out with handling large looms. As there are several looms in each room, you should expect to be sharing the workshop with others.
The Weaving Workshop facilities include:
- Counterbalanced loom with up to 4 shafts. The weaving breadth is between 2.5 meters and 4.1 meters. The loom is suitable for making large carpets and hangings. For tight weaving, two or more people should operate the loom. The loom has a shaft lifting system operated by compressed air.
- Foot-powered loom with up to 8 shafts (PC controlled). The weaving breadth of both looms is between 2.5 meters and 4.1 meters. The looms are suitable for making large carpets and hangings. For tight weaving, two or more people should operate the loom. Both looms have shaft lifting systems operated by compressed air.
- Dobby Loom, computer operated via Weavepoint. The loom has 22 shafts, two back beams and a weaving breadth of up to 160 cm. The loom is suitable for light textiles (but not for carpets). Because it is computer operated, the loom is also suitable for research and experiments with for example bindings and patterns. This could be relevant for weavers working on design projects.
- Tapestry loom. Weaving breadth 2.5 – 4 m. The loom has no shafts or treadles. The loom is suitable for large picture tapestries.
- Foot-powered loom with up to 8 shafts. The weaving breadth is up to 2.6 meters. The loom is suitable for carpets, hangings and tapestries. The loom may be operated by one person.